Monday 8 July 2013

100% Worth Watching- As In **Please Watch**

One of my fellow  bloggers just posted this video, and it's one that has been and should continue to be shared within the autism community.  I think that for those on the outside looking in on “the autism community”, those who don't understand how emotional it is to be on this journey, or who haven't taken the time to really think about it, this brings it home in a very real way.  I have to be honest and say that even though this video has been all over twitter/you tube  for many months now, I have never watched it.  Katy Perry and a little girl with autism sing "Firework".  OK.  Well, I watched it tonight and the tears are still streaming down my face. 

THIS is what we are striving for for our children, all of us.  We want them to feel like regular kids, to feel like they are good at something, like they have value.  For Nathan, we just want him to talk to us.  Every time I hear a story of a nonverbal child becoming verbal it gives me just one more sliver of hope.  Makes me want to spend extra time working with him, giving him everything I have.  Every autism parent goes through periods of hopelessness- it's natural with the roller coaster we are on.  Here is one more thing to cling to- also, really listen to the lyrics- I feel like this song now "belongs" to autism, if that makes any sense.  I am sure that's not how it was originally intended, but it most certainly fits, like a glove.

Please watch, it's worth the 9 minutes I promise

No comments:

Post a Comment